Author Topic: Picked up Left 4 Dead  (Read 14680 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Picked up Left 4 Dead
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
Or actually I got it off of Steam but in any case pre-ordering means you get to play the demo and I'm DL that now. So I'll report back to you after I've messed around with it.

Lots of info on it to be found here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535896
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Picked up Left 4 Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »
lol, wow. Everyone who is a shooter fan MUST at least try the demo for this game. I just played through some single player and it's fantastic. This isn't hordes of shambling zombies. Once they start moving they are quick and there are several "boss" types that do different things. For instance the boomer who will explode. If you get the bile from them on you you become a beacon to nearby zombies and your group will get swarmed.  8)

Trust me, try this one out.

Edit - ok, there do seem to be issues with their MP system setup and I don't know if they are going to carry over to release. Just an fyi in case someone is thinking of buying it to play the demo. There are apparently a limited number of servers for the demo that fill up rather quickly in prime time, it's difficult to setup your own server, etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:39:02 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »
I'm REALLY looking forward to it. =)

"Son... we just crossed the street..."

=)
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
A couple of screenies from the SP game

Eeep!

Gah!

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:00:49 PM »
zombies AND duel pistols?

SOLD!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
zombies AND duel pistols?

SOLD!

Aye and pistols have unlimited ammo. You still have to change clips but you'll never run out of bullets for them.  8)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
The demo is now public (you don't have to pre-order to play it) so pick it up and give it a try.  8)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »
Downloading right now... in the meantime, I'll be playing on the console.

/Hides my console playing from Brugdor
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Nighthavok

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:58:41 AM »
Just downloaded.

That was intense.  Very well done.  The music and everything.  But really not my cup of tea.

Because I'm a big weenie. 

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:29:56 AM »
Played a few games with Brugdor. It's VERY nice.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »
Tried VS mode for the first time last night and played some again this morning. It's pretty fun.

The way it works is that the infected team are ghosts that can just move around the map until they find an approved spawning point. Approved meaning it's far enough away from the humans and that it's not in their LOS. You are told what you will spawn as beforehand so you can try to pick an appropriate spot. The types of infected you come in as are Boomer, Smoker or Hunter with the Tank being a rarer random spawn dependent on map location. Regular zombies will be around as well but you don't play them.

The first team comes in as survivors (humans) and gets as far as they can on the map. The farther you get the more points you earn. So when the first team is killed the second team comes in and tries to get farther than the first did.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
Tried VS mode for the first time last night and played some again this morning. It's pretty fun.

The way it works is that the infected team are ghosts that can just move around the map until they find an approved spawning point. Approved meaning it's far enough away from the humans and that it's not in their LOS. You are told what you will spawn as beforehand so you can try to pick an appropriate spot. The types of infected you come in as are Boomer, Smoker or Hunter with the Tank being a rarer random spawn dependent on map location. Regular zombies will be around as well but you don't play them.

The first team comes in as survivors (humans) and gets as far as they can on the map. The farther you get the more points you earn. So when the first team is killed the second team comes in and tries to get farther than the first did.

I played as well last night. Being a Smoker and lashing out with my toad tongue and pulling people though the corn fields toward my claws is horrifically awesome.

We should get a UV game going.

uvdoombot is my name.

Technically it's UVDoombot

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »
If anyone here is still on the fence about this game then this should convince you to buy it. Even Yahtzee likes it   8)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
When are we going to get a UV game going?

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:54 AM »
When are we going to get a UV game going?

I'm up for one if enough people have it. Probably requires people to login to Steam though *hint*   :P