Author Topic: I need a router for my PC that will allow a MacBook to connect easily.  (Read 2635 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Wireless of course.

Any recommendations? Something not associated with horror stories of finding the right drivers and hours or tinking with settings would be nice. Thank ye. =)

Oh... on another note. I've been hanging around more Mac people. Ever notice how that have a certain 'look' about them? No bad... just a look all their own. Kinda Chic Geek / Trendy Beatnik.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
Re: I need a router for my PC that will allow a MacBook to connect easily.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »
Just get a wireless router really a mac should connect to it with less issues than a PC, just make sure it's a good one. 

I swear by linksys kit because of their Cisco pedigree, mine sits there quite happily and hasn't really needed a kick in the year or so I've owned it.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 02:58:24 AM »
I concur with TK.  I have a Linksys feeding off of a Comcast hookup and I seldom have any problems with it.  When I do have problems, it's as simple as turning it off and on to reset the connection.  Be forewarned though, depending on your computers, you may need to download some additional software beyond what's already programmed into the router.  Not complicated, but you usually only think to do that after trying a bunch of other stuff that IS complicated.  Then you have to call Rajiv for tech support.  Rajiv is my hero.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:20:52 AM »
Linksys or D-Link. I've actually come to prefer the latter as Linksys routers seem to have had a quality drop over the last two years. Anyway, there shouldn't be any problems with connecting a Mac to a "normal" router.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
I used to love d-link, but I've gotten a lot of defective stuff from them in the past three years. One was a usb network adapter that actually got so hot it was almost unusable, especially on a laptop. But since the invention of the built-in LAN adapter that's been kind of a moot point anyway.

I trust Linksys routers. I have a WRT something or other, and it's never given me problems with any platform. We had a d-link that apparently had electrical system problems. If enough people were connected it would reboot. According to my engineer brother it had something to do with a crappy circuit layout. But to be fair that was about five years ago, things change.

As for hanging out with Mac people, good luck. As a musician and web designer I'm surrounded by them and most of them are great people until you start talking about computers. Then it's like talking to Tom Cruise about Scientology.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »
Thanks for the info. Is there a certain model I should get?

I also want the Wii to be able to connect to it. I assume that will not be a issue?
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
Basically, all router follow the 802.11g standard, which is 54Mbits/s. Most routers support both the 'g' and the older 11 Mbit/s 'a' standard.

Get a Linksys WRT54g, it's reasonably priced, and has everything you'll ever need.

Seeing as wireless networking follows a standard, in theory at least, all devices should connect without problems. With cheaper routers, you might run into problems as they have not implemented the standard properly, but with D-Link or Linksys, you should be home-free.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »

Seeing as wireless networking follows a standard, in theory at least, all devices should connect without problems. With cheaper routers, you might run into problems as they have not implemented the standard properly, but with D-Link or Linksys, you should be home-free.

/concur
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."