Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 118471 times)

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
So I just finished systematiclly killing everyone in Megaton before nuking it to cover up my numerous crimes against the people of that town.

:nice:

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »
So I just finished systematiclly killing everyone in Megaton before nuking it to cover up my numerous crimes against the people of that town.

:nice:

Efficient. =)
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:53 AM »
Well you know.. I couldnt stand the thought of blowing the place up without having my run of the loot first.

Seriously though.. one thing I noticed while doing this kinda irks me.

I kill Simms. People run after me, I kill the few that followed me outside of town. I return to town and everyone is all 'aww. When Simm's was alive' and no one even remembered that I blew his ass up with a hot potato.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2008, 04:48:44 AM »
Well.... I'm on my second run but I'm playing on the Xbox.

This time I'm taking my time which means I'm doing things like looking for Quantum cola while the Wasteland is dying from irradiated water.

The trouble is... it's getting a bit boring because the fights aren't challenging to me anymore. I found all the SPECIAL bobbleheads, I got the Intelligence one fairly early, I have the comprehension skill and I've read about 50 books for an extra 100 points. So I'm one shot'ing most creatures with the plasma gun. Nothing's a real challenge.

It's not ruining the game to the point that I want to stop but the battles aren't as exciting as they used to be. I suppose I could put on a Brahmin skin outfit and fight with a Chinese pistol if I crave excitement. ;)
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2008, 11:05:08 AM »
I started a second playthrough and turned Megaton into a crater, but I'm not enjoying it this time so it'll be scrapped and back to the drawing board. I think the problem is I rushed it a bit when I got to Megaton and I just feel like I've missed out. I'm not entirely happy with the way I've done my SPECIAL this time either, even with replacing gun nut with intense training.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »
Speaking of which.. I think sneak attacks was especially made for energy weapons. Ive been picking off people from long range with a laser piston and turning em into Ash.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »
Speaking of which.. I think sneak attacks was especially made for energy weapons. Ive been picking off people from long range with a laser piston and turning em into Ash.

Groovy.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »

Groovy.

Hail to the king, baby.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »
More of a jolt than a bump, but with the first mods appearing and getting ever larger, seems like a good idea to keep everything together.

The majority of the mods so far are cosmetic in nature, so I downloaded a couple to have a look. The first was a hair pack (doesn't contain any new ones for males however) and another alters female facial textures by adding make-up to them.

Quite a lot of them revolve around female characters actually, including (you guessed it) the several nude mods that have appeared. One of them is actually rather well done as it was a project to improve body textures while there's another that looks as if it was made by a teenager overdosed on testosterone who probably doesn't know what a woman is even if one came up and punched him in the face.

With a quick run through the tutorial to show it off, I made this character to show you what's there.

There's a few gameplay altering ones, from simple stat changes to making the T-51B power armour repairable out there too.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2009, 06:09:28 AM »
Quite a lot of them revolve around female characters actually, including (you guessed it) the several nude mods that have appeared. One of them is actually rather well done as it was a project to improve body textures while there's another that looks as if it was made by a teenager overdosed on testosterone who probably doesn't know what a woman is even if one came up and punched him in the face.

Nice! More hair styles?

Good. I was tired of:

Punk girl, 50s Housewife, or windswept bed head.

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2009, 03:56:43 AM »
As I mentioned previously, I finally got FO3 mid December and I'm about 20 hours into my second game at the moment.  I have refrained from looking at this post until now.

First of all, let's not kid ourselves... Bethesda nailed it.  The look, atmosphere and harsh reality of post nuclear life...  Absolutely nailed it.  At first I was cursing the chronic lack of ammo, but once I changed my playing style a bit (baseball bats are better than the rifle for taking out radroaches) I found that it just adds to the believability of (and immersion in) the world.

I had no misgivings about Fallout flavoured Oblivion because I quite liked the latter.  However, I will agree with others here that it really tastes nothing like Oblivion.

It is slightly more of an FPS than I would have liked (since you have to wait for VATS to recharge), but I forgave Deus Ex of the same sin because it was such a brilliant experience and so ditto for FO3.  More than once I've found myself looking at the ceiling after having spun around three times because a feral ghoul has jumped out of the shadows and my mouse ended up halfway over the keyboard.

I hated the ending.  I agree with others that it was ill-conceived, poorly implemented and the most significant disappointment in the game, and for similar reasons to those already mentioned.

My other significant gripe was with the "radar" and mapping system.  Particularly when inside, I would have liked to have been able to tell from the red lines on the HUD whether the enemy was on my floor, above or below me.  Or, for that matter, behind me.  We have had a perfectly serviceable interface for this type of information since "Elite" came out in the 80s and I think that it's criminal that we don't use it (or something similar).  As for the mapping system, I will refer you to the late 80s/early 90s game "Decent" which showed that usable 3d maps are possible.  The local view maps in FO3 are beyond useless.

Yes, I know that they're similar to the ones in previous fallout games (which were equally rubbish), so there is an argument for consistency, but it's the Pipboy 3000, so they could have done it.  In the absence of an actual operational mapping system, the inclusion of flares (to mark where I've been) certainly would have helped my subterranean navigation.

I also would have liked to be able to add permanent notes to the maps or notes in the Pipboy (a la "Planescape:Torment").

I did like the several nods to the old CRPG "Wasteland" in FO3.  The Citadel, Vax, etc. (I saw a few toasters, but none of them were broken).  Nothing to get the lawyers upset about, but nice.

I was unimpressed with the level cap (I just don't like them in any RPG), although I can see that it makes levelling opponents much less noticeable.  Also, I hit lvl 20 not too far before the end so at least they seem to have got the balance about right.  Having said that, I'm combing the wastes this time (to find all the bobbles) plus, I have bumped the difficulty up to Hard so I expect to hit the level cap way too early in this game.

Is it just me, or are the SPECIAL stats much weaker in this game than in previous ones?  I get the feeling that there is a much heavier emphasis on skills and perks in FO3.

As far as the game itself goes...

The main plot wasn't too horrific.  I expected better, but it kept me mostly interested.  I only found 5 bobbleheads on my first run through (I'm up to 9 on my 2nd run including the ones that I haven't got yet, but know where they are from my first game) but I didn't do an awful lot of exploring.  I'm wandering the wastes a lot more this time through.  Giant Radscorpions are a LOT tougher than I expected.  Every time I see one it's, "well, there goes another stim or two."

The side quests are very engaging, and have often held my attention well beyond the simple attraction of more loot + xp... I'm starting to dream in morse code, and I still can't understand it.  Agghhhrrrr!!!  Also, I have a feeling that there should be a way to finish "Pleasantville" in the main quest without butchering everyone but I can't find more than the vaguest of hints to its existence (I'm sure it has something to do with the musical items, but short of brute-forcing my way through permutations it has me completely baffled).

Anyway, this post is already longer than most people will read so I'll finish it here.

You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2009, 04:23:32 AM »
but I can't find more than the vaguest of hints to its existence (I'm sure it has something to do with the musical items, but short of brute-forcing my way through permutations it has me completely baffled).

Anyway, this post is already longer than most people will read so I'll finish it here.

SPOILER

The music notes are important. Think about the music beats as you're looking around and touching items in the abandoned house. It's not the only way to complete the quest though.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »

I hated the ending.  I agree with others that it was ill-conceived, poorly implemented and the most significant disappointment in the game, and for similar reasons to those already mentioned.

You should be pleased to hear then that everything I've read about the Broken Streel DLC planned for March (which admittedly isn't much so far) is not only raising the level cap, but it's going to retcon the ending too. If you chose the good ending, physically changing it is about the only way to explain how you've got the same character after the main quest is over.

On another note, in my continuing exploration of the available mods, I've installed one that decreases item decay by 80% - perhaps I'm just imagining things but I don't recall seeing the condition bar drop that rapidly on the console versions. I've not figured out how to alter the decay rate within the GECK myself and increasing the health was the only way I knew of to make a weapon last longer than its base state.

The other is a weapon mod that adds a Desert Eagle to the game. Rather than use it as-is, I tinkered with it a bit as it was intended to work with a 2nd mod that adds a .50 cal ammo type to the game. I chucked that bit of it away, simply installed the textures/meshes for the gun itself and re-saved the plugin. The gun itself came across as rather overpowered I thought, so I cut the damage, decreased the AP cost slightly, altered the ammo and repair scripts and the upshot of it is that the game now treats it essentially as a more powerful version of the 10mm pistol. It's not quite how I want it just yet, as the gun is scoring a critical hit with almost every shot, so it still needs toned down a little.

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »
Thanks Doomsie.  I'm nowhere near that part in my current game, but I'll give it a go when I get there.

A Desert Eagle sounds great, but I'm not ready to start playing around with mods yet.  I want to run through the game another time or two first.

I recall being disappointed at the end of the game because I couldn't continue playing.  For some reason, I expected to be able to go back and continue exploring after the end of the main quest.  Odd.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
The local view maps in FO3 are beyond useless.

Yes, I know that they're similar to the ones in previous fallout games (which were equally rubbish)

at least before the maps were divided into floors, something i really wished they did with 3.