Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 118882 times)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:44 PM »
Ahhh, but I am doing *both* m'lad! +14% critical chance, mmmmmm mmmmm

No stat can have any mechanical effect based on that stat exceed 10.

In other words, since the finesse perk raises your luck by 5 when calcualting criticals, it still can't raise it higher than 10 for that. So a luck of 4 = 4% crit chance; a luck of 4 + finesse = +9% crit chance. A luck of 5 + finesse = 10% crit chance. A luck of 6 + finesse = 10% crit chance. A luck of 7 + finesse = 10% crit chance, etc.

Now other things not tied to luck that raise your crit chance (e.g. some in-game acquired perks) will fully stack with finesse, luck, and each other. But you can never exceed 10% on finesse and luck alone.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
You'd think I'd be disappointed but that just means I have another two stat points to work with.

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2009, 01:48:26 AM »
fricken fire ants.

>:(
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2009, 02:01:03 AM »
fricken fire ants.

Dogmeat loves to attack ants. Dogmeat makes me use up all of my Stimpacks. Dogmeat stays at my house in Megaton now.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »
Poor Harold!  Actually, he's kind of an asshole in this one.  I suppose it's to make what you do to him easier on the player, but sheesh!  Three games in and this is the sendoff he gets?!
I found that having a different actor voice him made him easier to deal with.  Charles Adler is the only real Harold.

Dogmeat loves to attack ants. Dogmeat makes me use up all of my Stimpacks. Dogmeat stays at my house in Megaton now.
Roger that!

You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »
fricken fire ants.

Dealin with em ain't no picnic that's for sure.   :P
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »
Quick question that I need to know before I start my bitchy, self interested unarmed chick character.

I've planned out my perk list so I don't have any room for flexibility so I need to know before I create her (hopefully somebody is online now because I want to make her in a few minutes, heh)

You need 6 luck to get the better criticals perk

If I start with 4 base luck at character creation, get a permanent +1 from the bobblehead and then use/carry around the lucky 8-ball, will I qualify for the perk? Or do I need to start with base 5 (6 with bobblehead)?

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »
Bah! I'm obviously more inclined to believe the people here, but now some people on another message board are telling me that Finesse does in fact stack with luck. Feh

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
As best as I can remember, when you come to select perks, the select screen ignores bonuses and checks against your base value for their requirements.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »
As best as I can remember, when you come to select perks, the select screen ignores bonuses and checks against your base value for their requirements.

That's the way I understand it as well.

So the bobbleheads, because they actually adjust your stat, will count for requirements. Once picked up, you can immediately drop them if you want. The display case is just a nice place to put them.

Any boosting equipment, though, won't help. And neither will drugs.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
I suppose it doesn't matter now anyway, as I made the character, but just so you know you two guys are being heavily outweighed on another message board about the whole finesse thing. How positive are you that finesse won't stack with luck?

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2009, 07:16:46 PM »
The wording of it saying it's the same as 5 extra points of luck made me think it simply scaled up your luck stat in rolls, but now I think about it, it does make more sense to see it as being an extra 5% on top of that.

I don't have a save file but there'd probably be some way to take it apart in the GECK to prove it for sure.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »

Dogmeat continues his trend of being a borderline useless NPC, but it's nice to see that Bethesda stayed true to the original games and required us to stash Dogmeat behind a locked door everywhere we visit if we want him to stay alive.  If I could have an NPC stand in the middle of a narrow bridge where I can't get around them or shoot me repeatedly in the back, that'd be cool.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »
Dogmeats main problem is that he's not smart enough to do called shots.

"No dogmeat. When you meet a mirelurk aim for its face! Its face!"

Of course, dogemeat did find the nuka cola quantum bottle for me that one time. I could see it, but couldn't figure out how to get to it after looting all other stuff in the area. So I told him to fetch me some food. And sure enough, he brought me the quantum.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
"No dogmeat. When you meet a mirelurk aim for its face! Its face!"

Hehe, first thing I thought of upon reading that was, "Go for the eyes, Boo! The eyes!"
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney