Author Topic: Opera legend Pavarotti dies at 71  (Read 3999 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Opera legend Pavarotti dies at 71
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Opera legend Pavarotti dies at 71

Sad. Here's a thought that sums up my... uh thoughts. In a world of plastic mediocre singers and invented talent... it's sad to see someone TRULY great and talented pass away.

I'll always remember his singing and his role as Professor Maximilian Arturo on Sliders.

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: Opera legend Pavarotti dies at 71
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:42:15 PM »
He was a large man, but he sure could sing.
And I'm surprised he actually took the role in Sliders. Never much figured him for a TV star.
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:33:40 AM »
And I'm surprised he actually took the role in Sliders. Never much figured him for a TV star.

Take your hand and put it front of your face about six inches or so, palm forward, fingers pointing up. Then move your arm so that your palm remains in roughly the same distance from your head as it goes up and over towards the back of your head. While doing this, make the sound of *woosh*.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:47:55 AM »
He was a large man, but he sure could sing.

I was kinda bummed her didn't incorporate his singing into the show. Since they dealt with parallel worlds, there could have been a world where Professor Arturo was a world famous Opera star. I guess it would have been to hard to explain how the Professor knew how to sing so that's why they never did it.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 01:58:33 AM »
Actually, come to think of it, I'd have loved to see him as another "Scotty" XD
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:15:16 PM »
That's sad news, the guy was a talent, best noted for his work as a dimensional scientist dude on sliders as dooms says though... and his role in Lord of the rings? amazing!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
That's sad news, the guy was a talent, best noted for his work as a dimensional scientist dude on sliders as dooms says though... and his role in Lord of the rings? amazing!

And let us not forget his roles in Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade as well as numerous appearances in other Hollywood movies, TV movies, cartoons, and video games.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »
He made a really convincing dwarf as well.

Although I never got to hear any opera drinking songs.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 06:33:05 PM »

And let us not forget his roles in Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade as well as numerous appearances in other Hollywood movies, TV movies, cartoons, and video games.

Even though I'm not a huge Voyager fan, I loved his appearance as Leonardo Da Vinci in the Holodeck.

Strange... my boyfriend was at Disneyland the day Pavarotti died.. He might have seen his appearance on the newsreel at the Indiana Jones adventure.

A true versatile man.

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 11:22:14 PM »
sad sad sad

great man
real shame
 :worried:
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata