Author Topic: Superbowl XLII  (Read 2738 times)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Superbowl XLII
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:46:04 AM »
Just thought I'd start a thread here. Note to all Americans: please put superbowl on a saturday for us euro fans. It's 4:45 am on a monday, I'm drunk, and I have school tomorrow.

Anyway, I'll have to get back to you tomorrow with my impressions, but wow.. I lost a few bucks I had riding on a 7-12 point win on New England, but I have to give it to New York - guess the best offense really is a good defence. This is the best game I have ever seen in a Superbowl.

We had a whole American themed party going, and one too many beers led me to being a quite tired person at this time.. So good night, and see you tomorrow/today!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: Superbowl XLII
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:50:50 AM »
I wonder if an American themed party in Europe is like that episode of Arrested Development.

Michael and Rita sit down at an American Themed Restaurant in Wee Britain (A location for British people in Orange County) called Fat Ammy's American Style Restaurant

Waiter: "Enjoy your plates of donuts. I'll be back with some 64 ounce glasses of soda to wash them down. Then I'll take your order."

Michael Bluth: SO this is what you think of us huh?

The date finishes and they both leave holding giant bags of left over food.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »
Stunningly great game, and really a superb example of how great American football can be.

Loved it - watched it with a roomful of friends, all pulling for the Giants. What a game!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:15:14 AM »
I wasn't really pulling for either team and kind of watched it over my shoulder because I was playing LOTRO but I did Tivo it. I'll probably go back and watch for the commercials (Iron Man!) so I'll see most of it.

Can't really say I'm sorry to see the cheaters lose since the league is mostly looking the other way on that stuff. The Pats are the dynasty of choice right now and they are getting a free pass. That and denying Randy Moss a SB win after he gave up in Oakland the previous two years was kind of sweet.

Oh and I bet Tiki Barber feels like even more of a moron right now than he has for the last couple of weeks after he ran his mouth about his former teammates at the beginning of the year.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Pipboy 2000

• Administrator of Things/Thongs
  • Administrator
  • Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:17:31 AM »
I totally rooted for the Giants as well, I am loving the fact that one Manning brother won the superbowl last year, and the other wins it this year, how cool is that? Also, we had a running bet going about how many times they would pan the cameras up to Peyton in the box for reaction shots, and we counted over 10 times! Screw the Patriots and their Spygate cheating butts =P They got totally outplayed tonight and I really enjoyed watching Brady fall on his back so many times, the Giants D put him on his back 18 times, not count the 5 sacks that they got. The Defense really was the MVP of that game. I'd also put Tyree up there in the MVP list with Plaxico and Eli because of his ridiculously amazing off the helmet catch that gave them such huge momentum. (Also Boss for his excellent play) I'm a huge Colts fan but I'm very happy the Giants pulled it off tonight. Pats just weren't playing in top form like the other 18 games.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:26:53 AM by Pipboy 2000 »
Pipboy2000
Postmaster General, Unwashed Civil Defense Force

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:21:46 PM »
I enjoyed watching that Terminator robot choke slam that Superbowl robot.  Fox must have a lot of faith in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, what with all the advertising they did.  It's terrible.  Don't watch.

I'm still waiting for the Colts and the Giants to play against each other in a superbowl.  The advertising would write itself...

"Friend against Friend..."
"Brother against Brother"

"This Superbowl will determine once and for all: Who is the better Man...ning?"

Just imagine Don LaFontaine's voice doing that, and it just sounds awesome.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:53:28 AM »
Shipment of Fail has a picture up:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:55:28 AM by Hoopy Frood »
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!