Author Topic: PS2 in an NES case? Anybody know how to do that?  (Read 2569 times)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
PS2 in an NES case? Anybody know how to do that?
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:05:17 AM »
I'm trying to figure out a way to put PS2 guts into an old-school NES case.  The plan is that I'd lift the cartridge lid and the ROM drive would slide out.  Does anybody know if this is workable?  Would I need a combo of slim PS2 and fat PS2 parts?
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: PS2 in an NES case? Anybody know how to do that?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:09:00 AM »
I'm trying to figure out a way to put PS2 guts into an old-school NES case.  The plan is that I'd lift the cartridge lid and the ROM drive would slide out.  Does anybody know if this is workable?  Would I need a combo of slim PS2 and fat PS2 parts?

I haven't looked into it but assuming the parts fit then it just becomes a case (a PS2 case) of making things line up correctly.

eg. Have the CD come out where the NES cartridge opens, fan in the back, on light in the front. Most of these can be solved with extra wiring and a mounting kit if needed. I think if you work with the SLIM version of the PS2, you should have a good chance to make it fit.

The another important issue (in my opinion) is making sure bad things don't touch each other).

But I think you should be able to make it fit.

Here's what I'm making for my BF. Do I get geek/girlfriend points for this or what?

Build a Nintendo NES PC

Oh Loveshack... when you do make it... make I suggest this color scheme?

http://www.tehskeen.com/gfx/200603/nestation3.jpg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:15:34 AM by Doombot »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
I think if you work with the SLIM version of the PS2, you should have a good chance to make it fit.

I would need the actual CD-tray from a fat PS2, since that is the one that slides out to accept discs.  In the slim one, I'd need to machine some sort of door in the top to snap discs onto the carousel.

Oh Loveshack... when you do make it... make I suggest this color scheme?

I thought about that one, but I'm going for the retro charm of the NES case, so I might want to just leave that part alone.  I need to get in touch with that guy who built the Nintoaster and the Super Ningenatari. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:57:26 AM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
The another important issue (in my opinion) is making sure bad things don't touch each other).

Don't you know that abstienence-only education isn't very effective?
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!