Author Topic: Nooooo! 3D Realms shuts down - No Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 7885 times)

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nooooo! 3D Realms shuts down - No Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »
Nice! It makes it more playable!

I'm a graphic/tech snob. The BF gets somewhat irritated that I can't play old NES games or Kings quest without sighing.

BF: "These are CLASSICS!"

Jen: "These are OLD!!!!"

I scoff at your elitistic attitude! Then I go back to some of these games and go: ”Jeepers... Is that what it looked like!?!?!?”
I'm glad to notice, though, that my brain is much more critical toward early 3D than the truly ancient graphics. I still get chills down my spine when I see a screenshot of Ultima IV, but I'm sure there's some sort of retro-override going on right there. Hmmm. Poor sound has always pissed me off helluva lot more than poor graphics. Like, I recall being in actual physical pain when I made my move from Amiga to PC, with all that early beeping and bleeping going on. :D

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:33 AM »

I've noticed that if I enjoyed playing a computer game when it was new, then I will usually enjoy playing it regardless of its age. Computer games from before 1994 or so I usually don't like because that was before I started playing computer games. Wolfenstein 3D is pretty rough sit for me now because it's just not fun anymore. I like most console games regardless of their age though. I've been test-driving that HD Pack all afternoon, and it's seriously like night and day compared to the original Duke Nukem 3D. Best of all, you can still play regular Duke Nukem 3D if you get nostalgic. Some of the villains are actually a bigger threat as 3D models because they move faster and chase you farther. The main offender is Mister Gatling Lizard Man up there.
I think I'll have to give this one a go. Duke Nukem 3D was the last straight up first person shooter that I really, really enjoyed. After that  I defected to Looking Glass games and started to scoff at ID Software and their cronies - especially that devil Carmack with his comments that story makes up only about 1% of a good game. :D

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 06:14:30 AM »
I'm sure there's some sort of retro-override going on right there

I think it's because of the bad economy. Kind of like with Cuba and their cars.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 07:09:29 AM »
Could be, could be. Or maybe it's Iolo and pals, still camping somewhere down there in the Stygian Abyss, trying desperately to send me telepathic messages to finally return and lead them to Codex.