Author Topic: Starting our house hunting...  (Read 18130 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: Starting our house hunting...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »
Most of the basics were covered - slope flooding, inspections, etc. The slope thing alone caused me to walk away from a property we were considering last year.

But here's the biggie:

Neighbors...

Look at the neighbors. Make note of the condition of their properties and yards, see if there are renters in the area, etc. Check to see if anyone has three ATV's parked alongside the garage, etc. Now, I mention renters not because I have anything against them (most of us were renters at one time), but because rental properties in a residential neighborhood are usually a pain. You never know when three college buds are gonna split the rent and have parties every Sat night. If you are looking in a place where renters will be (like a townhouse development, etc), see if there's some kind of homeowner's association or rules against that sort of thing.

I've known plenty of people with bad neighbors - there is almost nothing worse. Now, you can't control who moves in after you, but you can control who you move next to. If you like to smoke weed on the back porch (I know you don't, Jen, but it's an example) don't move next door to a cop. :)

Thanks for the reminder. We didn't specifically mention renters (He and I) but we talked about making several trips during various times (for finalist houses) to make sure trains aren't passing though the area or to make sure wild parties aren't going on.

You're right about neighbors. I've had some bad ones ranging all the way from the relatively mild issue of animals pooping in my yard (slinging it back stops it) to parties every Welfare day. I want a place somewhat away from people. =)

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
Maybe it's too obviously, but distance to shopping and schools is something to note as well if you're planning to staying a long time.

I don't know about the US, but here it is possible to check a lot of things about a house before you buy. Like if the ground is polluted (asbestos, industrial pollution), how well the plot drains water (whether you should expect a flooded basement every fall), if those surveys have been made.

I'm glad my girlfriends dad is a building engineer.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
Depending on the age of the house, you might have asbestos insulation.  While not really a problem unless it's disturbed, as the house settles and ages, it can become exposed and make for problems and expensive clean-up later on.  So don't let the presence of asbestos insulation deter you right away, but just make sure that the house passes a rigorous inspection if that's the case and that there aren't any areas where the insulation was never covered up to begin with (I.E. the garage, basement, attic, etc.)  You might pay less for the property that way.

Also, if the selling point of any house is "retro-60s charm" or "vintage vinyl flooring", make sure you know what they're talking about specifically.  (I'm pretty sure everyone in this commercial died horribly.)

Edit: Also, if this scary, old minister shows up to welcome you to the neighborhood, just move out then and there and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Edit: I assume you're moving within the Vegas city limits, but the above rule also applies if you're moving to some secluded town where all the townsfolk start talking about throwing a party or a feast where you'll be the "guests of honor".  Keep an eye out for suspicious things like statues made of wicker, churches of unknown religious affiliation, and cornfields with entities living in them.  Also, if you think you see a clown looking at you from a storm gutter, see the above rule.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:27:24 AM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »
Here's a cut and paste that I sent.

------------

...thanks for recording Cory in the House for me. I hate missing that show but back to the house hunting.

We met with a realtor today and saw three houses.

The first one screamed trash. It would take three gate openings to get into the place. I'm sure he would love to pull in, stop, get out, open the gate, pull up, stop, get out, close the gate, pull in, stop, get out, open the gate, pull up, stop, get out, close the gate, pull in, stop, get out, open the gate, pull up, stop, get out, close the gate.

The walls were kicked in, beer cans were nailed to the roof and a rusted out car was in the back area. Then it looked like the house was set up backwards. The opening to the house faced the rusting car out in the field and no door faced the street. It would be the perfect house for Britney and K-Fed if they never became famous. Thus you should have the perfect idea of it's trashiness. She explained that she didn't know the inside was so bad. She just drove by and saw the front of the place.

We then saw two more houses.

Both were very nice. The first one was more "complete" and ready to move in. eg. Nearly everything was in it's place, the counters gleamed, the counters were new, and you could even sit down in the shower. It was a place that was fit to call home. However it just doesn't have "Heart". It was nice but didn't feel like a home.

Then we went to another place. It would be misleading to call it a fixer upper because the first one with the rusty car was called a fixer upper. This place has a AWESOME front area. You walk in and there's stained glass with a rose patter, large windows and windows above you. Walk around the redwood entrance and you see a sunken living room with a fireplace. In the back there's a tiny house, landscaping, room for the dogs. I love the wood beams though out the place.

However most of the awesomeness went into the visible area front area. The house has vaulted ceilings but the hallway is low (it's less than 6 inches over my head) and the bedroom was cut in half. However the bedrooms are fine for most people but I get anxious when I'm in an enclosed area. Knocking out the wall, adding some cut a ways into the hall and removing the vent will alleviate the claustrophobia. There are some exposed wires (but the place wasn't trashed) and we have a large window that presents a security issue.

That said, the place has heart. It's a house for both of us but it's defiantly a house for him. It's a bit strange, quirky, but definitely fun (just like him).

We'd have to get some contractor work but that seems like part of the fun. You get to make the home your own.

So who knows. We aren't in la la land over it. "OMG! I WANT IT!" but it could work. I think more than anything we might be holding off just so we know that we didn't jump into it.

We're still going to see more places.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:10:46 PM by Doombot »
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
Just an update.

We saw some favorites and they slipped though our fingers. We expected as much. One thing that we heard over and over was: "Yeah... we lost lots of perfect houses."

So we've looked at many houses. Most are cookie cutter and look just like any other houses. Think of the Twilight Zone where that girl doesn't want to get the operation to look like everyone else. That's what I think about as I see the houses.

However there's been a few gems and we saw TWO recently that we REALLY liked. After debating back and forth, we decided to go with the first of the two. The favorite has 300 more square feet, more roomy, and more fun. More fun means more inviting space, airy layouts, the ability to see much of the house from different standing points. The area upkeep and the neighbors look better at this house anyway.

Unfortunately there's no pool and hot tub at this place but we can put that in later.

So we put in the offer and we're told they have two days to respond.

So let's see what happens!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:35:58 PM by Doombot »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
Oh I forgot. The previous one that we were considering about one month ago (see two post back) had sewer gas, roof rot, non draining tubs, and scorch marks in the fuse box.

We decided to pass on the House of Death.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »
Well they accepted our offer. The close of escrow is in one month.

We're waiting to hear back from our Realtor. Then the hiring of the home inspector will start and we'll take it from there.

If there's an Indian burial ground we'll be able to walk (or any other major things if found).

We'll have to buy a fridge, washer, and dryer though.

So it's not done yet but it's close. I hope everything is ok with this place. =)

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »
I would pay extra for a house built on an Indian burial ground!

Anyone can have a boring non haunted house, imagine how cool and popular your house parties would be if your house was the haunted one! :D
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 04:18:16 AM »

Anyone can have a boring non haunted house, imagine how cool and popular your house parties would be if your house was the haunted one! :D

You raise a good point. Mmmmmm

Perhaps I should go out to the reservation (where we buy our fireworks) and take an underground Indian home?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »

Just wait until your daughter gets sucked into the house via her bedroom closet.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »

Just wait until your daughter gets sucked into the house via her bedroom closet.

my teenage daughter? I pray daily for that to happen. :D
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »

Yeah, but she'll still talk to you through the TV.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »
Congrats, Doom. When do we come down for the house-warming bash?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 01:24:28 AM »
Congrats, Doom. When do we come down for the house-warming bash?

Assuming we actually get it. I'm not allowing myself to be happy (for the purchase) until the inspection is done.

But at least two months after we get it. It allows us to get the place looking even better.

Heck it's not like I haven't had villagers in my place before.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 01:35:40 AM »

Yeah, but she'll still talk to you through the TV.

*brandishes the mute button*
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney