Author Topic: What I never got...  (Read 2665 times)

Atom

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
What I never got...
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
We know that most of New Vegas was spared being destroyed by the atomic warheads.
We know that Mr. House had constructed laser defenses, missile arrays and radar jamming systems to achieve this.

So why didn't the USA government do the same thing for all of their cities or at least most?

The USA wanted to see China and the rest of communism get mostly annihilated, sure, they would suffer and lose most of their own citizens as well but that was seen as an acceptable trade-off.
Then they would regroup, restore the United States and crush any remnants of communism for good.
So why didn't they, instead of constructing very expensive vaults that had to be self-sustainable, not just outfit their cities with laser defenses?
Then they could have preserved most of their nation's population and could strike just after the communists were devastated and at their lowest point.
This can't have been too expensive, lasers were pretty common, radar jamming was used at least since World War 2 so that is very old tech and missile arrays shouldn't be too expensive either.

Most vaults were already completed by 2063, Robert House had only started to work on preserving New Vegas in 2062.

And how come the supposedly omnipresent United States government didn't see House's plan (constructing laser defenses in a populated city would be strange after all) and think "Hey, that's a good idea."

Anyway, first time poster here.  :)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: What I never got...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:10:37 AM »
Welcome to the boards!

And maybe it was an issue of logistics. After all, House already ruled Vegas by the time he set up his defense grid. The other cities didn't have such a setup. Plus, House was a genius on a committee of one.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
Welcome aboard!

My best guess is that the government was too busy thinking "they won't possibly launch nukes at us because if they do we'll launch nukes at them" and then tied up with the whole Anchorage invasion.  They started massing troops there in 2059 and it was invaded in 2066.  Anchorage was reclaimed in 2077, 9 months before the bombs were dropped.

Quite a lot of the US's military R&D went into power armour and Liberty Prime, by the look of things and, as Hoopy alluded, governments aren't known for their ability to get things done quickly, especially expensive things which are of limited theoretical usefulness.  They didn't have House's projections, or his inside information that 77 nukes were aimed specifically at Vegas.

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:50:55 PM »
I suppose we are talking about a government that introduced a virus to kill all the Chinese spies (and some french ones) so I don't think they care all that much for there own people if it means spending money on defence as oppose to offence.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
the answer to "why didn't they" almost always boils down to the same answer...

Money...

On the other hand if the US had set up all those nifty laser defences then we wouldn't have been turned into a wasteland and the UV would never have been born...

not to mention it would have made for a very short boring video game :D
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...