Author Topic: Not the Fallout Thread  (Read 6828 times)

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Not the Fallout Thread
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:04:25 AM »
Well, still haven't bought New Vegas, but I'm getting there. Since Halloween was coming up, I did buy a creepy first person game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and definetly recommend it to anyone who likes creepy, ghostly stuff. The game reminded me of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, but it's actually sort of creepier, since you get no weapons whatsoever and running is the only thing you can do if you encounter a monster. They also put a nice feature in the game that when the lights go out, you'll start hearing all kinds of strange shit and quickly lose your nerve.  

I was playing the game one night with the lights turned off and all, when all of a sudden I started hearing strange wailing, screaming and chanting in the corridors of the haunted castle. It was a bunch of drunken teenagers having a gathering in front of their school, right under my window. First New Vegas, then some headphones.

I think I actually recognized what they were chanting, although it wasn't "Iä Iä Cthulhu Fhtagn..."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:06:46 AM by Morb »

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Re: Not the Fallout Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Holy crap does that look good. Methinks I'll be buying my first PC game in years tomorrow.

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »
I've read some comments that it's somewhat short, but I guess that's because it doesn't have any combat in it... nor a maze. :-)

Compared to the Dark Corners of the Earth, I think it does wonders when you don't have access to a gun. I mean, at later parts of Dark Corners you got sort of desentized to all the Deep Ones and stuff and just blasted them with a shotgun. Not that I'm complaining about it. Having played Call of Cthulhu RPG I know that any sensible investigator lobs a bunch of dynamite in the suspicious crypt or a cellar at the first sign of trouble. :)

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:33:13 AM »
I think the last time I played a section of a game that really gripped me while I was playing it (well, two come to mind,) were the first F.E.A.R. and the old really bad Wheel of Time first person shooter.

I remember one thing that made me jump out of my skin was seeing the little girl from the first FEAR (I seriosuly only played like two levels, not paying attention to the story since it was on my bro's comp, I didn't own it,) walking towards a ladder, she then disappeared in thin air once she reached it. Well, soon as you start climbing down, instead of usual FPS where you can face outwards towards the ground or jump down, you face the ladder...soon as you turn around the little girl is RIGHT IN YOUR FACE staring at you as you climb down the ladder. Freaked me the EFF out. Some parts were well done.

In WoT, there's two sections that were amazing atmosphere and fun. When you enter the city of Shadar Logoth, it's empty of all human life cept you and some big Trollocs, and a mist called Mashadar. Mashadar cannot be stopped by anything, it moves slow but nothing can prevent it from moving etc. So you have to be constantly on the look out for that, as do the monsters. You sometimes catch a glimpse of people in windows where they can't be, since the place has been deserted for countless centuries. The music and overall feel is oppresive yet entertaining, as you're always slowly peeking around corners then sometimes having to flee the mist.

The other section is the Ways, you enter a portal to get to them, and they're infinite. There's land to stand on, but it's like having docks hanging in mid air made of stone, that can go in any direction. There's no wind or life in the ways, cept humans or Trollocs/etc that wander in. The only thing that well...exists in the Ways is Machin Shin (The black wind.) It randomly roams the Ways, looking for things to consume. It doesn't eat them, just drives you inexplicably insane at the slightest touch. It's a gust of wind/wall of roiling black faces, those you recognize and those you do not, all calling out in tongues you can and can not understand, whispering in your mind. You can't fight it, and the only way to survive it is to exit the ways, which can be quite a problem if you get either lost, or deep into the ways with trollocs in your way to the door or a long distance there.

good stuff.

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines also had an awesome level set to a haunted hotel which got quite unnerving, even though you were supposed to be a badass vampire and there weren't many real threats for you there. I remember it had just the right amount of nasty suprises and ghostly stuff happening in the corner of your eye, and actually read somewhere that it was originally much longer, but was cut down, because it was a concern that the level didn't have any combat in it. I for one would have liked to see more of that in the game.

Before that, I think Thief's Haunted Cathedral was the one that really gripped me. At first, I was sort of convinced that the zombies could actually smell you without seeing and that stealth didn't work on Haunts at all. Don't recall exactly why, maybe the sound effects gave you the impression, because they were pretty damn good, I remember that much.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
I had forgotten about Bloodlines, I remember that level....was tons of fun I think because it didn't have a lot in it...you basically punked yourself out just due to the atmosphere.

I've been playing a lot more RPGs and FPS that have more of a story/ atmosphere involvement in them, just love that when it comes to games.

I never got to play the Thief games, unfortunately.

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »
I really miss being able to play Masquerade and Bloodlines, they probably had some of the best atmosphere in games I've played for close to a decade. One day I'll find something that will let me play VtM and the Silent Storm games on 4+ gigs of ram. ^_^

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
I really miss being able to play Masquerade and Bloodlines, they probably had some of the best atmosphere in games I've played for close to a decade. One day I'll find something that will let me play VtM and the Silent Storm games on 4+ gigs of ram. ^_^

I keep telling myself I'm going to put together an older machine with win98 just to play old games.

Then I realize that old games are better left in the past.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:59:16 AM »
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »
I was half way through typing "at least you wouldn't want those perks in wow." And then I realized. Yeah.

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 03:30:37 AM »
Well... Finished Amnesia some time ago, but still haven't bought the damn Fallout... At least they have had ample time to patch it.

Amnesia was genuinely creepy... and once you got deep enough into the castle, it became downright sick. Loved it! Unfortunately, I got the trick about the critters quite early on, but it was still plenty unnerving.

JC

• Wasteland Denizen
  • My Being is Zorg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
I have found that one play-through of New Vegas was enough.  I tried playing a second game but got bored fairly quickly.  Unless they have changed something, melee characters are ridiculously overpowered once you level up a bit.  I managed to get "Knock-Knock" the unique axe and could take down just about anything in one hit.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »
look for headless horsemen on May 3rd

first it gets announced by Gearbox, now an actual release date. what's next, Starcraft: Ghost?

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »

I keep telling myself I'm going to put together an older machine with win98 just to play old games.

Then I realize that old games are better left in the past.

Not always! I'm pretty pro at digging up and dwelling in the past.

Thread ended up getting me thinking about Redemption and Bloodlines. Redemption is pretty much done short of an old box, but I did stumble into a place that had a community created patch that updated Bloodlines and made it playable on current hardware.

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »
hey guys, i might be able to make you happy
found this site about a year ago (hippywitchy found it)
WWW.GoG.com
has alot of the old games revamped to work with newer OSs (yes win7 too)
just downloaded and still playing Total Annilation and most games are from $4-$10 Oh and NO DMR once you buy it you can redownload as many times as you like or copy to CD or thumbdrive also accept paypal :D I can say i have had no issues with this site and they do offer good support for the games they sell.
other titles i have downloaded.
Moo & Moo2 (they have 3 but it sucks lol)
amerzone
aquanox 1&2
arcanum
earth 2160
independence war 2
jagged alliance (free :D)
perimeter
starwolves
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...