Author Topic: Doom, I need a confirmed audiophiles help!  (Read 4606 times)

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
  • Til things are brighter, I'm the man in black.
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
Doom, I need a confirmed audiophiles help!
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:19:03 AM »
Would you classify the Goo Goo dolls as emo alterna-rock or just alterna-rock? I was having one of my weird moody moments out at the middle school cause there's this awesome park bench where you can see the recently harvested corn fields and soy bean fields and I was just in a John Rzeznik sort of mood so the point came up. Comments?
[-)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: Doom, I need a confirmed audiophiles help!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:57:19 PM »
Darn, I'm more of a sound editor than a music aficionado.

The only thing I know about the Goo Goo dolls is they should tour with Lady Gaga for the Goo Goo Gaga tour.

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »
Blender rated them #47 in the 50 Worsts Artists in [popular] Music History list.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »
No, no Hoop, I know they are bad. But I need to know what "kind" of bad? Emo bad? Or just, bad, bad?
[-)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »
They weren't emo.

I guess the best description is bland garage band rock.

Think Bon Jovi but with less of an edge and even cheesier.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
I don't know, I don't think its possible to have less of an edge than Bon Jovi. We're talking about a dude who sings about having a guitar that is really like a gun "cause he's wanted dead or alive." I got the sense that Rzeznik at least sort of meant what he was singing about on some emotional level? He's mediocre but at least he's trying to sound a little like the Clash. 

How about this? What if we were to graph them based on the data from Blender or some such? Like if we throw Britney Spears, Billy Joel (who I think should be the baseline for mediocrity, not Bon Jovi, Billy is one of those guys who should know better but doesn't) Matchbox 20, Evanescence and hell Limp Bizkit up there, figure Jon Rzeznik and company probably come in in the upper half of that pack? I guess we're talking relative levels of badness.
[-)

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
In fact, tee shirt slogan "Now that you mention it, I actually have a twelve page report with me including these helpful charts in the Appendix explaining why that band you like sucks."
[-)

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:00:23 PM »
Okay seriously, then I'll drop this. I'm filing my mp3's since it's the end of the year and I really want to have an excuse to file the Goo Goo dolls with Nickelback, but I'm not sure if they'd fit better in the "pretentious crap" playlist vs. the "alterna pop frat rock whatever" play list. Recommendations? Thanks.
[-)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »
Okay seriously, then I'll drop this. I'm filing my mp3's since it's the end of the year and I really want to have an excuse to file the Goo Goo dolls with Nickelback, but I'm not sure if they'd fit better in the "pretentious crap" playlist vs. the "alterna pop frat rock whatever" play list. Recommendations? Thanks.

I wouldn't really say they're pretentious. And I don't even think they're that bad. (Though, the guy at Blender would disagree, since he put them in the 50 worst bands of all time list.)

They're just not that good or noteworthy. You could file them under "Forgettable".

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »

I wouldn't really say they're pretentious. And I don't even think they're that bad. (Though, the guy at Blender would disagree, since he put them in the 50 worst bands of all time list.)

They're just not that good or noteworthy. You could file them under "Forgettable".

That's a big category.

The Outrider

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
    • Passing Strange
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:49:23 PM »
I dunno.. I'm gonna need to run my Pretentiometer over my CD collection and get back to you.
[-)