Author Topic: Love stinks.  (Read 22513 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: Love stinks.
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 10:44:05 PM »
What about making a girl with a 1985 era computer and a doll? Chucara could do the programming.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:50:10 PM by Doombot »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »
Why does that remind me simultaneously of Weird Science, Applegeeks, and Comedity?
Oh yeah. Hot computerised girls. :P

Its a plan, but then it would only be good for the talking side of things.
Like a Fischer Price My First Girlfriend. God, having one of those would have made life alot easier ;D
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 11:12:45 PM »

The situation right now is that I told her I don't have those feelings for her anymore, and that at the time perhaps I only thought I did.  I just want to be her friend and have a normal friendship and put my past advances behind us, chock it up to immaturity and naivete' on my part and get on with our lives.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but re-read what you wrote above.

I have news for you - a friendship built on lies is not a friendship. You simply are not a very good friend if you have to lie.

You really need to do one thing: Tell her your feelings, ask her out, and let the chips fall where they may. If it means the end of things, so be it.

Sweetpea

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 04:20:56 PM »
although if her big news is that she's about to marry this other guy then i think you'd be best not saying anything.

she might think you've gone a bit Elvis Costello 'I Want You' and thats not good especially if you tell her you've been pining for 7 years.
Thomas Jefferson: Question with boldness even the existance of a god; because if there be one,  he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 07:26:11 AM »
although if her big news is that she's about to marry this other guy then i think you'd be best not saying anything.

she might think you've gone a bit Elvis Costello 'I Want You' and thats not good especially if you tell her you've been pining for 7 years.

I'm pretty sure she already thinks that.  Still you never know, it could wind up like this:

Though it's more likely to end up like this:
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 07:43:02 AM »
Owl, yeah, I know that it's not good to lie, but the truth of the situation scared and upset her.  Aside from the fact that I didn't want to be the cause of something that made her scared or upset, it drove her away from me, and I'd rather lie if it meant I could have her in my life in the limited capacity I do rather than continue to tell her the truth and lose her entirely.  Sure, I'd never be more than her casual friend, and I'd always want more, but I think that to completely lose her would hurt so much more.

Of course, there's also that problem I mentioned earlier about having possibly idealized her in my head because of a lack of real meaningful interaction with her.  This means that I am pining away for what basically amounts to a meticulously crafted imaginary friend who just happens to look like the real girl, who otherwise has nothing in common with the daydream and might very well be unappealing.  (Unappealing mainly because she doesn't like me in that way, but there's probably other stuff about her I wouldn't like.)

Also, when I can avoid her without it being obvious that's what I'm doing, I do start to get over her, but then I'll hear something about her from a mutual acquaintance or see her at a mutual hangout and all the sudden my feelings for her come back.  Of course, I stay quiet about them rather than continue to act on them.  I'll start to figure it just isn't meant to be (which it probably isn't), and I'll start to forget about her, and then I'll get spooked into thinking she's marrying someone else and it's like back at square one.

I figure my options are to make her fall in love with me, (which I know I can't do since real love has to be freely given, and she ain't giving.)  to forget about her and move on (which I've tried to do since it seems like the best, healthiest, and most mature decision, but can't seem to quite pull off.)  OR...keep pining for a relationship that probably can't happen for any number of reasons (which happens without much effort for or against on my part.)

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2007, 12:30:34 AM »
dude that isn't fair to her.

i'm not hatin, but that's not fair.
love, fish

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2007, 01:38:45 AM »

What's not fair to her?  Please elaborate.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
Owl, yeah, I know that it's not good to lie, but the truth of the situation scared and upset her.  Aside from the fact that I didn't want to be the cause of something that made her scared or upset, it drove her away from me, and I'd rather lie if it meant I could have her in my life in the limited capacity I do rather than continue to tell her the truth and lose her entirely.  Sure, I'd never be more than her casual friend, and I'd always want more, but I think that to completely lose her would hurt so much more.

Upsetting or not, I don't think that's the way to do things here.

With all due respect, if you'd lie to someone to keep them around, that's no life at all. It's self defeating and selfish. It's not fair on you, it's not fair on her. You're lying not just to them, but to yourself as well.

Now we've all had knocks in the storms of relationships. Some work the way we want them, some dont. I'm not unsympathetic to your situation but when it comes down it, sometimes you have to take a chance and just deal with the outcome. As I see it, there are 3 choices on the table:

1. Charades - you keep the status quo going and nothing changes either way.
2. Put up - you lay the cards on the table.
3. Shut up - you accept it's not meant to be and get on with your life.

The longer you drag things out the worse it'll get. I can tell you right now that the fact you'd even consider lying just to keep them around means you need to seriously get your priorities and head in order. Maybe I'm being overly blunt, but sometimes a swift kick up the arse is needed rather than the soft touch.

Pipboy 2000

• Administrator of Things/Thongs
  • Administrator
  • Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »
playing your hand in the card game of love... is a scary idea :)

I also hate love. for it hates me as well
Pipboy2000
Postmaster General, Unwashed Civil Defense Force

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 02:59:45 AM »

She does not like you in "that way". And it's pretty clear she's not going to. You are lying to stay "friends" with her, for purely selfish reasons.

To be honest, I don't see how you can possibly defend these actions.

How would you feel if you found out the real boyfriend was lying to her about how he felt about her just so he could keep banging her?  

You'd be almost outraged, right (of course you would.) Think about that.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2007, 03:37:33 AM »

She does not like you in "that way". And it's pretty clear she's not going to. You are lying to stay "friends" with her, for purely selfish reasons.

To be honest, I don't see how you can possibly defend these actions.

How would you feel if you found out the real boyfriend was lying to her about how he felt about her just so he could keep banging her?  

You'd be almost outraged, right (of course you would.) Think about that.

Yeah, I'd be furious.  I'd want to put him on a gurney, that's true, but it's not like I'm lying to her so I can use her for sex, I just enjoy being around her.  Also, if that were really the case, I could be the one to rescue her from the evil lying boyfriend.

Also, why would telling her the truth be better?  I tried it and it didn't work.  The way I see it, telling her the truth AGAIN will make things worse.  Make her mad, make me mad, leave me alone in the dirt.  Not a promising turn of events.  Plus, I'm not 100% sure I'm in love with her or the HER in my head.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 05:18:04 AM »
I think it will be better for you if you moved on. Sometimes it's just better to go, forget and maybe later you'll redefine your relationship in the future.

I've met you in person and you seem like the decent sort, you aren't hideous (or anything close to that) so I can't see some girl not wanting to be with you. I think even if you did get this girl, you may not get her because you'll have her... but not the person in your mind.

But... I've been there. Wanting someone and not having them and the pain that's associated with that. So... I hope you get though it with a minimum of pain for everyone involved. You seem like a decent guy so I'm sure whatever you do... you'll be able to  think about it 10 years down the line and go... "Yeah. I acted ok."

Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 05:21:07 AM »
On another note...

I realize that you're probably feeling bad because you don't have the person you want but consider this...

It may be hard on her.

Depending on the kind of person she is... she may be 'hurting' because she has to refuse someone who's obviously in love with her. This is different than turning down someone for a date. In effect she's saying... "While you love me.... I don't feel this way about you." Then she has to see the pain in your eyes. For a lot of people... that's a painful  thing to do.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »
Yeah, I'd be furious.  I'd want to put him on a gurney, that's true, but it's not like I'm lying to her so I can use her for sex, I just enjoy being around her.  Also, if that were really the case, I could be the one to rescue her from the evil lying boyfriend.

But you're lying so you can still be around her. You are STILL "using" her. 

Also, why would telling her the truth be better?  I tried it and it didn't work. 

No, it didn't work TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS. She is not yours to manipulate.

You're not a kid anymore - you're an adult. Again, no offense, LS, but given that fact, this is starting to sound kinda creepy. You really need to move on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:41:12 PM by Night Owl »