Author Topic: It's official now  (Read 3966 times)

datamies

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
It's official now
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
I won't ever use Pinnacle Studio again if there are any alternatives. If there aren't any alternatives, I'll consider never making another video.

We made a documentary video for my brothers' band Eturintama in February. It wasn't until yesterday that I got the English version of it done though. Making the original video was one compromise after another from the beginning to the end. Even though the result isn't exactly what I would have wanted, I'm still mostly happy with it - and what matters more, the band members and their fans seem to like it too.

Some people have said that the video should be interesting enough to watch even though the music wasn't their favorite or if they didn't know the guys in it. Now that the English version is finished, I thought I'd show it to volunteers in UV (if any) and see how they like it without understanding the original language. That's not to say you aren't allowed to check it out if you know Finnish...

Eturintama - Stories from the front, part 1/2
Eturintama - Stories from the front, part 2/2

Do you have any suggestions on what software to use instead of Pinnacle? I've thought about getting Adobe Premiere myself.

Also, I've been planning to get a proper video camera soonish. The idea was to get a Canon Legria HF S10. Any thoughts on that?

Sorry for the hasty post. I usually spend a lot more time wording my English texts (which might be the reason for not posting much) but I wanted to get this posted before leaving to gym today...

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: It's official now
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:50:42 PM »
I'm just heading off to bed, so I haven't watched the video yet.

For editing, I haven't done much myself, but I have a friend who has studied some film stuff - he liked Premiere. I've heard the only two real contenders are Adobe Premiere and Sony Video Pro*

*I tried Sony Video when it was still called Sonic Foundry or similar, and it was extremely good. More intuitive than Premiere, and it was easier to get plugins for. But this was like 6-8 years ago, so I'm not really up to speed.

I don't do much video, so I'd probably buy an EOS 5D Mk. II (if I had the money) for it's full HD video capabilities, and have something external for sound. I'm more into still images than video though, so don't take my ideas to literally ;)

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:37 AM »
Premiere is really easy to learn, so i'd throw my vote in for that. though to be honest, i haven't used anything else besides Final Cut Pro, which is for Macs.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Same here.  Final Cut all the way.  It's worth buying a Mac even if that's the only program you're going to use.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:00:44 PM »
Sony Vegas Pro's supposed to be really popular as well, but either that or Adobe Premier.

And nothing's worth spending double the money for half the hardware in shiny plastic to get a single program that you can run through an emulator  :annoyed:

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
Haven't really used any editing equipment since Avid was this cool new thing, but I edited some stuff with Premiere a few years ago, and it was easy to work with. Didn't need to look at the help files but a couple of times. The only thing worthy of complaint was that if you had limited material and had to make a frame precise edit, it occasionally skipped a couple of frames while you were converting the project to final form. Then again, this could easily have been because I was using a steam powered pc at the time...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:11:01 PM by Morb »

datamies

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to get some feedback on the video too, but I don't blame you for not finding the time (yet?) to watch a random video by some semi-random dude :)

As for the other part, it seems like it's going to be Adobe Premier / Canon Legria then. I was actually planning to buy the camera already, but I thought I'd wait to be sure I'm not among those 300 people the company is getting rid of this time around. It's not like the 2k€ made a huge difference in the long run, but I might regret buying the camera now and eating pea soup for the rest of the summer... :P

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »
Crap, forgot feedback.

I enjoyed the vids, I truly did. I like the music, growling's usually ont he border of what I enjoy (friend is lead signer in Swedish Jaganata and I don't always like their stuff), but yours' was nice and melodic, very good. The editing was cool, I enjoyed how the two drunk dudes did the story-telling, the fun clips,nice angles and music really fit. Proper good job, and what I'd expect seeing on a professionally produced CD with "bonus material about the band".

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.