Author Topic: The Spammer Problem  (Read 2566 times)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
The Spammer Problem
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
Once again, through a incredibly advanced KTT (Kitten Turing Test), the automated spammers should be a problem of the past.

I do ask that someone - anyone - please register a test user and let me know if there were any problems. Afterwards, just let me know the username, and we'll delete the dummy user again.

Chucara-AQUA Fan Forever

Re: The Spammer Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
Hi anyone here with a new account! Kitten verification works, however there's a hint next to it with the answer to the number of kittens in the photo. Could spammers filter that and bypass the kitten test?

Oh here's a video from my favorite band in the world.

Aqua - Back To The 80's [HQ]

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
I hate you.

But thanks. ;)

And to answer your question.. Spammer could very easily break our protection, as the answer is always the same. But an automated spambot could not - it merely scours the web for SMF forums and breaks the standard CAPTCHA on it. If I did it right, the only answer that is valid is the one indicated by the kitten picture.

So it's not that our protection is good, it's just that it isn't standard.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »
Essentially, to break our protection, the prospective spammer would have to either manually create accounts to spam with or write/alter a spambot specifically for this forum, both of which will hopefully be too much work to be worth the non-existant returns on their invested time.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »
And thanks to y'all for working on this.

I'm sure it's a bit of a time sink.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!