Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 118418 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2008, 04:35:13 AM »
I'm trying to find my way into the Ranger Compound. I just saved them from Supermutants... but could they give me a ride... NOoooooo.

Never found the Rangers at all.

Oh and yes we can get either a house in Megaton by defusing the bomb in the center of town or an apartment in Tenpenny Tower (I think).

Then I shall try it. =)

Make sure to talk to the sheriff to get the quest to do it first. I'm not sure what would happen if you did it without the quest.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2008, 04:39:05 AM »
We have houses?  :stunned:

disarm the bomb and you get one in megaton. Very handy.

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2008, 04:54:28 AM »
Make finding bobbleheads one of your very first goals, before almost anything else. At least in a few key skills.

Yeah, good luck with that. I'll wait till someone comes out with a list of locations. Ever since I got the one that raised my Int I've been keeping a close eye out for more of them and haven't found any. That's zero. None. Nada. Which means that they more than likely buried them under all kinds of crap in some back corner of every location.

Perhaps Bethesda will create an official Fallout 3 site, and create forums on that site. And create a subforum for hints, cheats and info. And choose a BBS software that includes a search function.

Until then I guess we're hosed.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2008, 04:57:49 AM »
Make finding bobbleheads one of your very first goals, before almost anything else. At least in a few key skills.

Yeah, good luck with that. I'll wait till someone comes out with a list of locations. Ever since I got the one that raised my Int I've been keeping a close eye out for more of them and haven't found any. That's zero. None. Nada. Which means that they more than likely buried them under all kinds of crap in some back corner of every location.

Perhaps Bethesda will create an official Fallout 3 site, and create forums on that site. And create a subforum for hints, cheats and info. And choose a BBS software that includes a search function.

I sense that you are trying to tell me something but I can't quite put my finger on it.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2008, 09:45:07 AM »
Ok, I was mistaken. After I got back into the game I found that I've been "run" sneaking this whole time (hitting L-Shift slows me to a crawl). So I still fail to see what the benefit of that perk is.
I think Silent Running negates the penalties you get for running while sneaking, and has nothing to do with sneak attacks per se (which is what I thought 'cause I misread the Perk heh).  Without the perk, you're more likely to be detected while sneaking-and-running than your are if you're sneaking-and-not-running (i.e. you're making more noise while trying to sneak and run).  With the perk you can sneak and run without worrying about any penalties.  Or to put it another way:
Quote from:  The Gamespot Forum
Q.  This may be a silly question, but does silent running live up to it's name? can you stand up and run full speed and remain undetected?

A.  Silent Running removes the factor of running while you are sneaking into whether you are detected or not. If you stand up and run at "full speed", you aren't sneaking anymore.
This perk is very helpful if you play as a sneaking character as you don't have to worry about slowing down when you detect some enemies, all you have to worry about is proximity and light.

I heard one is in the locked room of the sheriff for Megaton. It's the strength one.

I'm trying to find my way into the Ranger Compound. I just saved them from Supermutants... but could they give me a ride... NOoooooo.
  Am I the only person that found the one on Dad's desk in Vault 101...?  Or did everybody find it and assume its not worth mentioning...?   :blank:

Never found the Rangers at all
  You have to find a radio signal location while near the Mall downtown to start the quest.
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »
I've only found 2 bobbleheads to date - 1 right at the start of the game in Vault 101 for medicine and the 2nd was the agility one.

I think the next playthrough I'll forgo big guns and not take the gun nut perk, instead replacing it with a couple of levels of intense training. Fatman aside, small guns and energy weapons are proving to be far more useful, even if the ammo for energy stuff is rare early on.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
I've only found 2 bobbleheads to date - 1 right at the start of the game in Vault 101 for medicine and the 2nd was the agility one.

I think the next playthrough I'll forgo big guns and not take the gun nut perk, instead replacing it with a couple of levels of intense training. Fatman aside, small guns and energy weapons are proving to be far more useful, even if the ammo for energy stuff is rare early on.

The same guy who posted the character creation tips I reposted earlier has now given his opinions on the various perks:

Well, I went to (a Nyquil induced) sleep really early last night as I've got a nasty case of bronchitis, and I'm up now, I figure I might as well keep myself busy and provide interested folks with a list of the perks and (in my view) their relative worth from 1 to 10, with 10 being a true 'must have' perk.

So:

Level 2 Perks

Black Widow/Lady Killer (7/3): There are more male characters who you can have more of an effect on with the BW perk if you're a woman, but the solutions you get can often be worked around, anyway. There are also more male enemies than female, so it does make some sense as a combat perk for women. Not so much for men. I wouldn't advise taking the LK perk, as there just aren't enough opportunities to really make use of it.

Daddy's Boy/Daddy's Girl (1): Taking perks to improve skills is a waste of a perfectly good perk unless you absolutely need those skillpoints and are already a high level. In general, don't waste the perk since you should be able to bring up any skill, at all, to level 100 within 4 levels as maximum.

Gun Nut (1): a skill raising perk.

Intense Training (8): this is the perk that'll allow you to 'undo' some of the min/maxing I suggested in one of my previous posts. It allows you to start with 10 points in intelligence and to level up perception and agility to 10 as well. If you level up and can't think of a perk to slot in, consider raising luck or endurance a bit.

Little Leaguer (1): a skill raising perk.

Swift Learner (3): it has some use if you plan on only playing through the main quest line (still, you should probably get to level 15 or 16 without this perk). If you plan on exploring the wasteland, however, you just don't need this perk. You'll cap out at the level 20 level cap anyways just fine without it.

Thief (1): a skill raising perk.

Level 4 Perks.

Child at Heart(3): there are some uses for this perk and it'll give you some interesting dialog choices with a few otherwise recalcitrant children in the game. Still, it's not really worth the investment of a perk slot unless you've already beaten the game once and just want to see some other possible dialog arcs.

Comprehension (6): this can be a very useful perk, especially if you're at a lower level and finding a bunch of skill books as there really are a lot of them in the game. Still, this probably shouldn't be a necessary perk and you can get you main skills up to 100, without this, with no problem.

Educated (8): this is an awesome perk. By the time you reach level 20, you will have earned an extra 48 skillpoints from this. And unlike all the normal skill raising perks, you can devote those points wherever you feel like.

Entomologist (2): Yes, there are lots of giant bugs in the wasteland. But other than the giant radscorpions and some of the giant ants (especially the fire breathing ones), none should give you any trouble once you really get your character started.

Iron Fist (5): with three available ranks, you can end up doing an extra 15 points of damage with every unarmed strike. Of course as ranged combat is far superior to melee combat in this game, you should only consider taking this perk if you're on the path to becoming the wasteland's Bruce Lee.

Scoundrel (2): Not just a normal skill raising perk, this does give a few extra dialog options through the game. Still, not really worth taking.

Level 6 Perks

Bloody Mess (7): Okay, I love gore and the spectacular death animations. The 5% bonus to all damage types is also pretty cool.

Demolition Expert (9): going to be using lots of mines or grenades? Put three ranks into this skill. If not, consider it totally worthless.

Fortune Finder (1): by the time you really get rolling, you'll have more caps than you can spend. Ignore this perk.

Gunslinger: (3): an interesting perk, but the best and most plentiful small guns in the game are two handed. A sidearm should be your holdout weapon that you use if your primary breaks or if you need to conserve your main type of ammo. Even the SMG, while nifty, eats up ammo too quickly and really isn't an improvement over an assault rifle.

Lead Belly (2): you drinking much irradiated water? No, probably not. Besides, 100 caps will buy you a radiation detox at a doctor and there is plenty of rad away to be found. If you don't plan on gargling with random sink water, don't take this perk.

Toughness (4) : a 10% increased damage resistance is kinda nice ,especially since it stacks with other bonuses. Don't rely on it, though. But do consider taking it if you have a free perk slot and nothing else appeals to you.

Level 8 Perks

Commando (8): two handed weapons are awesome, and any increase in VATS % is good. If you use rifles, take this perk.

Impartial Mediation (2): only take this perk if you don't plan on getting speech to 100 anyways. And even then, only take it if, somehow, you won't be either good or evil.

Rad Resistance (5) : an extra 25% to your rad resist? Excellent. This, along with the bonuses for completing the Wasteland Survival Guide and getting the Food Sanitizer should allow you to go much longer without needing to remove your rad levels. It also gives you a much greater effect from anti-rad apparel since this bonus will stack.

Scrounger (6): if you're the type to run short on ammo, take this perk without a second thought. Once you've played through the game and are used to its combat mechanics, though, you won't need to bother with this and you should have more than enough ammo.

Size Matters (1) : a skill raising perk.

Strong Back (4): I personally love this perk, as it's got the same effect as raising your strength by 5 full points, and I like to carry loads of junk around.

Level 10 Perks

Animal Friend (2): eh, it's okay. It's good that it works on the Yao Guai, but since it doesn't effect Deathclaws, it's pretty much useless for the kind of enemies you'd actually need it for. Most cases, though, animals simply won't do enough damage to you or be important enough in a fight that their switching sides would really matter.

Finesse (9): an effective 5 point bump in your luck stat for critical hits? Unless you were silly enough to bump your base luck stat up past 5, definitely take this perk. Even then, probably take it anyway.

Here and Now (-10): yes, negative ten. You just leveled up, the main bonus to leveling up is that you can raise your skills, and choose a perk. Why throw away a perk just so you can level up again? Only take this if you're just playing the main quest, and even then, only if you decided against the EXP increasing perk.

Mister Sandman (3): there aren't many sleeping enemies that you'll come across, but there are a few. Even then, you need a very high sneak skill to get up to them without waking them. Still, if you're going for the unarmed route, consider getting this simply to add flavor to your character.

Mysterious Stranger (3): by the time you're really rolling, you should be able to kill almost any single enemy in VATS mode. However, if you're having trouble with some really big bad monsters (like Super Mutant Masters) then having the ability to finish them off in a single VATS phase, especially if you have the Grim Reaper perk, is probably going to be worth your while.

Nerd Rage! (3): the 50% damage resistance is nice if you're already in serious trouble. Then again, if you're already in serious trouble the 50% damage resistance boost won't really help all that much and you'll want to shoot up with some stimpacks asap anyway.

Night Person (1): you should have intelligence at 10 from character creation on, and you should max out perception before you really invest in energy weapons anyways. Ignore this perk.

Level 12 Perks

Cannibal (4): there are lots of corpses, and so this is an easy way to get lots of health back. However, you shouldn't really need to eat corpses as, in most cases, there is a bed around somewhere or you can just fast travel back to whichever home/apartment you own. Also don't even think of taking this perk unless you're going for the 'evil' side of things.

Fast Metabolism (3): it's useful to get an extra boost out of stims, and you should consider taking this perk during your first play through if you find yourself running low on (or out of) stims. Otherwise, don't bother. You'll only need to rely on stims for major firefights and even then you should have more than enough to keep you drugged up.

Life Giver (2): extra HP are nice. But this amounts to a tiny bump in extra HP and isn't really worth the investment.

Pyromaniac (7): using the flamer or skishkebab? Take this perk. Not using them? Ignore it.

Robotics Expert (8): this perk can actually be pretty useful if you have a good sneak ability. There are enough robots in the game to justify the damage bonus and enough times when taking out a mechanical angel of death makes sense. Still, if you find yourself blowing away most robots without trouble, or if your sneak is low, don't take a second glance at this perk.

Silent Running (8): the skillpoint raise is a wash, but the ability to run while sneaking and not lower your sneak chances is pretty neat. If you plan on taking this, don't level your sneak skill up higher than 80, as you'll get a bobblehead and then this perk to bring it to 100.

Sniper (10): a significant increase in your chance to pull off headshots in VATS, regardless of what weapons you're using. Get it.

Level 14 Perks

Adamantium Skeleton (3): if you're often ending up with crippled limbs (generally from a mine/grenade) then this perk is worth it. Probably, though, it aint.

Chemist: (2): useful if you rely on chems. You shouldn't have to though, and you should generally have enough in your inventory to simply shoot up again once they wear off, anyway.

Contract Killer (2): if you're evil and could use some extra caps, take this perk. However, most enemies you fight will be evil, so you'll really have to go out of your way to make use of this perk much (like depopulating Megaton or something).

Cyborg (8): actually a pretty good perk. You get a good bonus to several of your resists and an extra 10 point buff to your energy weapons skill.

Lawbringer (4): if you're good and could use some extra caps, take this perk.

Light Step (2): you're setting off traps? Really? Just use the save-load magic spell (or the load-save magic spell) and you should be fine. Take this if you can't be bothered to pay much attention and prefer being able to just concentrate on run and gun combat.

Master Trader (1): a skill raising perk, and one which raises a skill that you probably shouldn't really need in the first place. You should be able to find all the armor, weapons, ammo and chems that you could possibly ever use.

Level 16 Perks

Action Boy (10): use VATS? Take this perk.

Better Criticals (4): most enemies will be dead if you get a critical or two during a VATS chain, anyways. If not, then this perk might come in handy. But even then, you won't be doing all that many criticals in the first place. The only (major!) exception to this is that you always manage a critical hit if you attack while successfully sneaking. So if you have lots of points in sneak and are fighting big bad monsters, invest in this.

Chem Resistant (4): take lots of chems and don't want to be bothered with beating the addictions? Then this is worth it. Don't bother with chems (as you probably shouldn't?), don't bother with this perk either.

Tag! (1): oooooh, a skill raising perk. Yay!

Level 18 Perks

Concentrated Fire (3): eh. Chances are, you'll already be hitting in VATS often enough if you take the right perks. A slight increase in accuracy for low % hits probably isn't worth it.

Computer Whiz (-10): yes, another negative 10. First of all, you can meta-game and simply save-load. Second of all, you can just abuse game mechanics, since every single computer terminal in the game allows you three free attempts, and then you can log off and back in to get another three free attempts. Ad infinitum.

Infiltrator (2): if you force a lot of locks, take this, I guess. Otherwise, just use save-load or be a bit careful in your lockpicking.

Paralyzing Palm (3): paralyzing enemies is good. Having to fight totally unarmed is bad. Unless you have your heart set on unarmed combat, fuck this perk.

Level 20 Perks

Explorer (10): this is an awesome perk, and if you want to fully explore the wasteland you really should consider picking it up. However, if combat is more important to you, don't consider this perk for a second, because GRS is a hell of a lot better.

Grim Reaper's Spirit (over 9000!): the single best perk in the game, it turns you into a one man meat packing factory. Target an enemy, spend all your AP's to blow their head off, and immediately get all your AP's back to do it again.

Ninja (9): went the unarmed/melee route? Take this perk.

Solar Powered. (2): this is a level 20 perk? On purpose? To begin with, the heal rate is simply too slow to really make use of. Stimpacks/food will often do just as good if not better, this doesn't heal crippled limbs, doesn't work inside buildings and takes up a highly valuable level 20 perk slot. Of which you get only 1.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
]I think Silent Running negates the penalties you get for running while sneaking, and has nothing to do with sneak attacks per se (which is what I thought 'cause I misread the Perk heh).  Without the perk, you're more likely to be detected while sneaking-and-running than your are if you're sneaking-and-not-running (i.e. you're making more noise while trying to sneak and run).  With the perk you can sneak and run without worrying about any penalties.  Or to put it another way:
Quote from:  The Gamespot Forum
Q.  This may be a silly question, but does silent running live up to it's name? can you stand up and run full speed and remain undetected?

A.  Silent Running removes the factor of running while you are sneaking into whether you are detected or not. If you stand up and run at "full speed", you aren't sneaking anymore.
This perk is very helpful if you play as a sneaking character as you don't have to worry about slowing down when you detect some enemies, all you have to worry about is proximity and light.

I've never noticed a difference with it. Perhaps it's just the way I react when i see movement ahead. *shrug*

Oh and I found the bobblehead on dad's desk in the vault.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:04:13 PM by Brugdor »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
Great post Hoopy. I think I made some 'mistakes' with the skill leveling perks.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
I did wipe out a whole town of slavers today. That was fun.  ;D

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2008, 08:57:11 PM »
Well, once a patch comes out for my game I'll play the character I have right to the end...
Then, after that, it'll be smart girl 101 :D And I'll probably be evil.
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:46 AM »
You may recall I said a while ago I thought Fable 2 would get my GOTY.

Fallout 3 has now punched it in the kidneys and left it rolling around by the side of the road. Several of the recent quests I've done have propelled it into the lead.

ShadyGuy

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
Great post Hoopy. I think I made some 'mistakes' with the skill leveling perks.

While Hoopy's post is definitely good for creating a character that is a real powerhouse, that does make the game a bit more boring at higher levels. I finished the game once now and near the end I felt almost invincible.

Also, now I've finished the game I also have some criticism. For one the ending was a bit of a let down for me. I'm not going to spoil it, but there was a situation in which one of my companions could have helped out. I even got the chance to ask him and he flat out refused, even though he had done a similar task for me earlier in the game. You guys will know what I'm talking about when you get there. :) And the second let down about the ending is that the ending slideshow basically recaps your last actions and your alignment, but then it fails to mention anything about the long term effects your actions had on the places you went to earlier in the game like in the old Fallout games. For example whether you blew up or disarmed the bomb in Megaton doesn't even get a mention. Bethesda really dropped the ball on that one.

My second complaint is that with all the skill books, perks every level and the bobbleheads it isn't that difficult to become good at everything. Fallout 1 and 2 always needed you to specialize more. Also, leveling is pretty fast and you can reach level 20 without exploring even half of the map, which as I mentioned earlier takes the challenge and sense of progression out of the game. I've started a game with a new character and installed a mod that makes me get less experience and I cranked the difficulty up to very hard. So I hope that'll be more of a challenge. :)

All in all it's a great game, but there's definitely room for improvement.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:17:52 PM by ShadyGuy »

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
Last night I finally got power armor training, went 'woo-hoo', tabbed into my inventory and realized I actually liked my ranger armor/shady hat combo better than the enclave power armor.  Fully repaired ranger armor is 38 DR; fully repaired Enclave power armor is 40 DR.  I don't really need more strength for anything, and switching to the power armor represented a -2 agi and -5 bonus AP loss.  Boo to that.  You can make a better case for ditching the shady hat, since it doesn't come near the power armor helm's DR, but it does have bonus perception and sneak, plus it would look stupid to wear a power armor helmet with my ranger armor.

Rangers what what
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Bobblehead has locations of at least some of them. i haven't found any yet so i didn't read down the page to see if they have all of them.