Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2008  (Read 14887 times)

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: NaNoWriMo 2008
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
Write about someone writing about NaNoWriMo but something (ominous music starts) happens...
That was my plan last year but it turned out like fifty other people in the DFW area were doing that. : (

We all failed before moving on to another idea.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
The website is driving me crazy. I remember it doing this last year...SUPER slow at peak times and impossible to navigate anything. Ugh.

Anyway, my username is crystaljessee. Add me! And tell me your names!
love, fish

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »
my tag is the same as it is here.

i think ihave a couple of you guys added from last year, but i'll check that monday. hopefully the site will be back to speed by then.

i'll be attempting to ruin more fairy tales again this year.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
This is proving more difficult than I'd thought. I've had an idea for a comic I've been kicking around for the past four years or so. I've outlined it and mulled it over enough over that time to have more or less the entire story ready to go in my head. That said, the problem is that, well, it was a comic. Dialogue+visuals. I'd spent so much time and thought on how the imagery would be directed, on occassion how I would subtly hint at things, or use visual symbology.

And now I'm trying to write it out as a story, and it's just not packing the same punch. It's coming off as dull and uninspired so far, and yet the story has come to mean so much to me that I don't really want to change things. Plus, I'm finding that certain things that would have been subtle and barely noticable as a picture becomes blatant when you type them out.

I'm almost to the point where I'm considering scrapping this idea and just doing something new.

Edit: Also, I'm still not sure on what narrative style I wanna commit too. Standard third person or alternating first person where each chapter is first person from the perspective of one character.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:43:46 PM by Shard »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 09:12:14 PM »
Edit: Also, I'm still not sure on what narrative style I wanna commit too. Standard third person or alternating first person where each chapter is first person from the perspective of one character.

The Time Traveler's Wife did something similar and it worked very well.

First Chapter - The Time Traveler in First Person

Second Chapter - The Time Traveler's Wife in First Person

And then back and forth. If not for all the novel than at least a majority of it.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 01:59:51 AM »
I have already written, for my first day, 2, 834 words!

Of course they are 2000 words that are rubbish and the other that are left are rough, but I have learned to not edit as I go! Even the horrid typos that stand out in neon flashing signs!  I hope to do well this year. I shall remember, writing is fun!

Writing is fun!!!

:D
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 03:14:07 AM »
I'm back in the cage.

Been a slow weekend with FO3 and work, but I'm planning to hit 2k by tonight. We'll see how it goes.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 03:16:57 AM »
i'm failing. but i'm having issues concentrating on anything much besides anime right now.

i have nearly two pages handwritten, which (i think) is close to 1000? not entirely sure though

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 06:20:38 AM »
handwritten? yikes, you are brave! :)

i still haven't figured out how to add people as friends. i have figured out that you have to view their profiles, which seems impossible with just screennames. for all intensive purposes, i am just going to list my number profile: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/445568. what are yours? please tell me, i am dying to read what you all have written as your synopsis so far!

2428 words for me. ha i think i'm sort of on track. maybe. :)
love, fish

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »
i dont have a synopsis up yet, mostly due to slow internet trying to navigate a slow site.

i've also been trying to work myself around the fact that i have three papers that i havent started due in the next two weeks (a one page, a 4 page and a 6-8 page). then on top of that i've volunteered myself to direct/film a movie for my friend's english final, kinda glad that i dont have to have that part done till second week of december. but that's another story.

i've got 350 words typed. maybe 700 written total. i hand write first cuz its easier for me to take with me places to write. no power supply to worry about and the profs cant tell that i'm not taking notes ^^

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 03:59:40 AM »
Kerry Lind, same as last year.

hmm...number wise I think it's 204157

"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
i've got than, sylvee, fish, solwyn and i just added turjan.

i also just updated word count and added an excerpt. not a good excerpt, but its there.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »
I am already WAY BEHIND because I got off to a weaksauce start, but I've been plugging away and beating the per-day quota for the last couple days.  Unfortunately since I'm going to Richmond this weekend I probably won't write at all saturday and sunday, so I have to at least catch up to the quota by tomorrow, or I'll be absurdly behind on monday.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
I am already WAY BEHIND because I got off to a weaksauce start, but I've been plugging away and beating the per-day quota for the last couple days.  Unfortunately since I'm going to Richmond this weekend I probably won't write at all saturday and sunday, so I have to at least catch up to the quota by tomorrow, or I'll be absurdly behind on monday.

/same

What a week this has been.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »
i doubt you guys are as far behind as i am. i'm guessing that i've got day ones quota if that at the moment. and i've got a major paper due next week, so i dont know when i'll get to catch up.