Author Topic: So I finally saw Wall-E  (Read 4148 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
So I finally saw Wall-E
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
My step-dad got the 3 disc DVD set a couple of days ago and we watched it last night. Definitely much better than Cars IMO.

The coolest thing though was a one and a half hour extra on the DVD that tells the story of how Pixar came to be. It had some very interesting info in it like John Lasseter being fired from Disney after he made a feature film based on the Brave Little Toaster. Some head of Disney came to screen the movie, never watched it, and stormed out after saying that there was no point to computer animation if it wasn't cheaper or faster than the old way. The movie was shelved and never released btw.

They also apparently did a massive do over on Toy Story 2 in a very limited amount of time because Pixar felt the movie sucked but Disney was going to release it as is. Lasseter hadn't been a part of the project and it was supposed to go straight to video but then Disney decided to release it theatrically. Thus the reworking of it occurred.

They showed a clip of Jessie's song and all the people they showed talking about that part of the movie (all men btw) were obviously emotional about it. Tom Hanks said that he and Tim Allen saw the movie for the first time together and there they were, two forty year-old men crying because of an abandoned cowgirl doll. I was right there along with him crying (again) because of just a short clip of the song.  ;)  As Lasseter emotionally summed it up, "At that moment you know that no one's thinking 'Well this is just a cartoon. This is just a bunch of pencil drawings on paper or this is just a bunch of computer data.' No, these characters are live and they're real."

And that is what makes Pixar movies so great.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:30:36 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: So I finally saw Wall-E
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »
To me Pixar has the heart of Old Disney. eg. Making great films for kids and adults.

Modern Disney just seems like yet another television studio. Maybe being oversaturated with Hannah Montana / American Idol / High School Musical 12 lately is souring me.

But I love Pixar. =)

Toy Story 3 is coming out next year.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
To me Pixar has the heart of Old Disney. eg. Making great films for kids and adults.

Modern Disney just seems like yet another television studio. Maybe being oversaturated with Hannah Montana / American Idol / High School Musical 12 lately is souring me.

But I love Pixar. =)

Toy Story 3 is coming out next year.

I updated my OP with a bit more info as you posted this. Just wanted to be sure you saw.

They talk about why Disney 2D animated films fell off over the last decade and the people at Pixar are truly saddened by it. Apparently the success of CGI films caused a lot of old school animation talent to be cut at Disney and they sort of gave up on 2D after some lackluster films failed to make much money. The people at Pixar made it clear that they think 2D movies can still do well at the box office provided that they are good.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:19:13 AM »
that link doesn't work, I wanted to cry, darn it! :D

I also enjoy Pixar.
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:28:54 AM »

I also enjoy Pixar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natWIzL4gLg&feature=related

They didn't nerf that one yet.   ;)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:19:53 AM »
Speaking of 2D... I can't wait for the Frog Prince.

It looks like Classic Disney. =)
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »

I also enjoy Pixar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natWIzL4gLg&feature=related

They didn't nerf that one yet.   ;)

Yup - sad as hell.

"At that moment you know that no one's thinking 'Well this is just a cartoon. This is just a bunch of pencil drawings on paper or this is just a bunch of computer data.' No, these characters are live and they're real."

I have this little stuffed owl in my truck - rides in one of the cupholders. Been there for years.... last week, I look down - GONE!!! Holy @#$% was I upset. I mean, it was almost like a pet dying. 42 y/o, 225 lb, gun-owning, scotch-drinking ass kicker that I am... all upset over this little stuffed owl. It honestly surprised me.

So later that day, we go to the gym... out of the locker room, onto the treadmill next to my wife... I look down in the cupholder of the treadmill... there he is!!! Apparantly, he fell into my wife's gym bag when she got it caught a day earlier. She figured I needed to know right then and there, hence bringing him out :)  Good move - made my day.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:35:19 PM by Night Owl »

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »
Sometimes its the smallest things that makes a person that much more comfortable  :)

Speaking of movies, has anyone else seen Coraline yet? I know its not directly related buuuut..... then again, what is here after 5 posts? *shrug*
I have to say it was an AWESOME movie to see in 3D.
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:08:41 AM »
WALL-E ===> most adorable date movie ever!!!!!  saw it with the bf on opening weekend (i'm sure i've mentioned it), he knew that he it would take a miracle for me to come out of the adorableness high i was in

flamey boy====> i'm kinda scared to see coraline. i read the book in hs and thought it sucked. (part of it i think was that the book is not a hs reading level and i was expecting something at least 7th grade). do you know how much they keep with the book/changed?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 04:41:02 AM »
Ive actually been planning on reading the book after this, just because im curious what it may have changed..... So no, I dont know just what may be different, but from what Ive heard its fairly faithful to the book.

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
Saw Coraline last night. In 3D. Great movie, but starts out a little slow.

I'm a fan of Gaiman, though. And I know he approved of how they did the movie. And even how they handled what were internal monologues in the book.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »
Hey Frood.... You ever see the BBC produced "Neverwhere" Miniseries? If so, what did you think of it?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
Hey Frood.... You ever see the BBC produced "Neverwhere" Miniseries? If so, what did you think of it?

Nope. Never seen it.

My girlfriend may have, though. She owns most of Gaiman's books.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
It is one of my favorite books, so when a friend came down from the raleigh area and brought down an odd miniseries box set claiming to be "neverwhere" I got a chance to see it as a TV miniseries.... It wasnt to bad in all honesty, I enjoyed it, but it seemed campy but not at the same time.