Author Topic: Orange you glad you didn't know this?  (Read 1778 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Orange you glad you didn't know this?
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Ewwww  :(

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/02/22/qa_with_alissa_hamilton/

Q&A with Alissa Hamilton
What you're really pouring from that carton of orange juice
By Devra First
February 22, 2009

What could be simpler than a glass of orange juice? The beverage holds a place in the pantheon of wholesome American breakfast foods, on equal footing with toast, cereal, and eggs. It's pure and natural, ads tell us, and we buy both the sentiment and the product. More than 620 million gallons of orange juice are sold per year in the United States, according to market research from Nielsen.

Author Alissa Hamilton would have us take another look at the glass on the breakfast table.

More at link obviously

It's sad that even something as seemingly simple as juicing oranges to give us juice has been so over processed that we'd be better off doing it ourselves at home.

"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Orange you glad you didn't know this?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
The shear amount of processing done to food doesn't really faze me anymore.....I bet it is an interesting read though.

I also find it amusing that a great deal of technology was and is developed to preserve, or make palatable food at the cost of its nutritional value, only to apply even more technology
To make it palatable again....  :worried:
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Orange you glad you didn't know this?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
I'm not really surprised.. One of the things I notice when I'm aboard (and I'm not just talking about the US) is:

- Milk tastes funny
- Orange juice tastes funny
- Water tastes funny

All of the above varies with country and region, but I don't think I've been to another country (other than Sweden and Norway) where at least one of the above didn't apply.

My best suggestion? Buy organic.