Author Topic: So I went to the first day of new york comic con today  (Read 2774 times)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
So I went to the first day of new york comic con today
« on: April 19, 2008, 04:07:03 AM »
It was pretty fun.  Played some video games, saw some crazy costumes, looked at the guys from dumbrella but didn't go say hi because I sort of hate jeffrey rowland (tomorrow I'll probably get over it so I can meet Jon Rosenberg).

I'm also going to meet Orson Scott Card and Jim Butcher tomorrow.  Terry Brooks and Neil Gaiman are here too (the line for gaiman's panel was the longest line I'd ever seen).

So, yeah.  Cons.  They're crazy.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

lara

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
Re: So I went to the first day of new york comic con today
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »
Get on MSN n00b!

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »
lara?  you're still alive?

also, okay!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:37:16 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:23:59 AM »
How was NY (you don't live here right, meaning it was a visit?) Was there about 2 weeks ago - love NYC. Nothing like it on earth.

edit - oh, and Lara needs to post.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
So, yeah.  Cons.  They're crazy.

My girlfriend has said she's going to take me to Comic-Con in San Francisco some day. She's a literary nerd and loves meeting the authors (she regrets never having gotten to meet Vonnegut, who was one of the regular guests at that one).
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
Actually, I do live here now!  I moved up to NYC a week ago.  I'll only be here for the summer though, come late August we'll probably move back to northern VA.

as to how NYC is, it's extremely crowded, but I'm pretty damn enthusiastic about it so far.  Crazy-ass place; I'm still getting used to it.

Orson Scott Card's panel was pretty frickin' awesome!  Jim Butcher is a classic nerd, but I love his stuff, so I forgive him for furthering the long-haired-bearded-D&D stereotype.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:28 PM »
Actually, I do live here now!  I moved up to NYC a week ago.  I'll only be here for the summer though, come late August we'll probably move back to northern VA.

as to how NYC is, it's extremely crowded, but I'm pretty damn enthusiastic about it so far.  Crazy-ass place; I'm still getting used to it.

Orson Scott Card's panel was pretty frickin' awesome!  Jim Butcher is a classic nerd, but I love his stuff, so I forgive him for furthering the long-haired-bearded-D&D stereotype.

That is flippin' awesome. My wife got me hooked on the Dresden books. She gave me the first one at the beginning of the month, and I'm halfway through White Night now. It's like verbal crack. I like a lot of Jim Butcher's panels, he's pretty quick on his feet.

Also, Orson Scott Card is the win.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."