Author Topic: Car buying tips?  (Read 5089 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Car buying tips?
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »
I haven't purchased a car since 1996.

This time, I'm just going with a used car (I already got the "Get a Brand New Car for Once in Your Life" out of my system).

I've been looking on Ebay motors and via Craigslist. I know enough to get a mechanic friend to look at it, run a CarFax report, Not send my money ahead of time and then wait for the non-existent car... but what else should I keep in mind?

I'll probably just buy it outright.

Going to get a Jeep. I never got over leave my love on the island. (The Jeep).
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
Re: Car buying tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:18:24 AM »
this sounds silly but start at the "reputable" dealers in your area (usualy a new car lot that also sells used)
this will at least give you an idea of what you can get in your price range from a "safe" source. Also check auto repair forums (lots of free ones out there) for that make and model car. It will give you a good idea what to watch out for in problems. ( a starter for 1 car is $30 for another $400). I bought a beautiful buick from craigs list with what seems minor but became major issues with car. (not starting being a major issue) I replaced it with a 1995 Cadilac Concours Deville (no i didn't leave out an e) 1 owner car from the dealer. 183k when i bought 205k now and is probably the nicest car i ever owned (paid $675 for the car itself and about $1000 for total tuneup (brakes, cables, plugs, oil change, radiator flush etc) dealer already had another on the lot (same year a little lower milage (not quite as nice) for $3000. (i should mention i had a trusted mechanic friend working at this carlot)

Just don't walk in blind and DON'T ever buy the 1st time you go to a car lot unless u know and trust the guy (last but not least NEVER trust the salesman their job is to sell you the worst car for the most cash)
Another good idea is if you have and trust your mechanic ask him if he knows of a good buy (he should know after all)

Oh and most importantly Buy a Ford or a Cadilac and your all set hehehehehehehe
Ok a JEEP is not a bad 2nd/3rd choice (i still miss my jeep but not as much as my 86 full ton Ford Bronco)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:28:02 AM by MrWeasel »
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »
Had a good experience buying my car from Carmax but that was over 10 years ago and in GA. Other than that, I got nothin.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »
Had a good experience buying my car from Carmax but that was over 10 years ago and in GA. Other than that, I got nothin.

Carmax is a good starting point. You will get a mechanically sound car for a price that is below full list.

However, you can get better deals elsewhere for the same car. But on the other hand, you can get much worse.

The advantage of Carmax is it's pretty much a no pressure sale and you can be confident that they aren't going to intentionally hose you.

But if you know enough about car shopping and want to put forth the extra effort to get a better deal, only use them as a price guide. You can always use pull the "Carmax sells it for $X card" on people that won't haggle.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:58 PM »
buy a car five months ago when the government would give you three or four grand for a piece of crap.

I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:01:13 AM »
Swash's car tips #45: When buying a car, plan to pay for it with locally recognised legal tender.  Attempting to barter with grapes, coconuts and foot massages has been scientifically proven to be less effective.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll probably just start out going though local dealers and checking Carfax.com. =)

Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
I've got a great car for sale. It's a classic 1958 Plymouth Fury with a custom "fire engine-red" paint job. It's a great car. I got a ding in the windshield the other day, and this morning I couldn't find it. It was like it fixed itself overnight; and I swear it runs better every time I drive it. PM me if you're interested.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:50:24 PM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
Going to get a Jeep. I never got over leave my love on the island. (The Jeep).

I know it was hard leaving it half-submerged in the salt lake, but you have to let it go.

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »
found it!

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
I was going to go out and look at cars today (but not buy) and it's raining. Raining in Vegas! So far we've gotten more rain then we usually get all year!

Anyway... as much as it hurts, I MAY not get a Jeep. To get something I like in a Jeep is about 50% more than something I like in a Honda or Toyota.

So... I may do the *shudder* responsible thing and get a nice economical gas saving car.

I've been reading about cars for tall people and I can't remember some of the styles but what cars would you recommend? I want something roomy so I won't hit my head and gets decent gas mileage.

No trucks! =P

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
I've been reading about cars for tall people and I can't remember some of the styles but what cars would you recommend? I want something roomy so I won't hit my head and gets decent gas mileage.
No trucks! =P

I kind of like the Ford Escape myself. Maybe a Toyota Highlander if you want to go for something with better gas mileage.