Author Topic: Good grief, what a pain in the rear  (Read 2702 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Good grief, what a pain in the rear
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:14 AM »
The last couple of weeks I've been getting progressively worse problems with Firefox all of a sudden becoming unable to connect to anything. There would still be a process for it running and Vista would NOT end the process or the process tree for it. Also, the machine wouldn't reset through the menu because of that Firefox still running. I'd have to go over and hit the reset button.

The last couple of days it's gotten really bad. So I started searching around for others having the issue. I finally tracked down some message board threads that had narrowed it down to the latest version of Zonealarm. As of a few minutes ago, I've uninstalled it and I'll see now if I get the same issue. I had even uninstalled Firefox and tried using IE (ugh, I weep for those still using that piece of poop) but that started having the same issues.

The only other thing I've seen suggested is that it could be malware. However several AV programs were listed that would find it, I downloaded one of them, and it found nothing.

So if this is happening to you and you have ZA, try removing that first.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Re: Good grief, what a pain in the rear
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the help. I 've been having the same problem a few times, nothing bad, but it did get pretty annoying.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Good grief, what a pain in the rear
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »
NP, glad I could help someone avoid the headache. Incidentally, I still haven't had any more occurrences of that issue.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney